Monday, November 22, 2010

Collagraphs_Collagraph – Text, Multiples and Transformation of Meaning_2

My inspiration for this prac comes from the idea of concealing text within texture. I found the art of text to be pretty difficult in terms of my themes of transformation - you don't want to give too much away, in the visuals. Text in collagraphs doesn't have to be obvious, so I experimented with collagraphs that were texture based, and others that were text based. It wasn't my intention to present final quality pieces, but just to play with the plates, and see what I could get by making up my own collagraphs using materials that suited my theme of transformation.


Plate 1

Round embossed material was added to string and cloth painted over gesso on a corrugated cardboard frame.

I don't think this plate effective communicates text, although it does communicate texture...
The quality of the prints were in most part below average – I was more interested in finding out what happened if I tried to make an impression on a paper and then reprint it onto another paper, first example.
I think I need to go back and review process... but I'm very interested in the alternative outcomes...





No comments: