Monday, November 8, 2010

Collagraph_Text, Multiples and Meaning_Prac 1

So, to the practicals - it's quite daunting incorporating text into a print - not sure why - that was originally the purpose of the print. I have scratched a very complex surface (gently) on the meaning of text in art... whether it presents an idea, whether it represents a stance - be it political, social or personal - whether it's just a visual make up of a piece, like a pattern... but then, even pattern and symbols tell a story. Western text, Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese variations, symbols - modern avatars and visual recognition patterns... there's so much there. Not to mention what is being said - poetry, philosophy, thoughts, etc.

Much there...

Adding text to a collagraph - mechanical text may not suit my idea of the 'intuitive form' - transformations, rhythmic movements of the hand that tell a story - that's what I hope to represent in my collagraphs. What I understand is that text can be used either as a 'readable' form of expression:

I started warming up with a few monoprints. What I understand is that text can be used either as a 'readable' form of expression:






or, of course words that can be used as a conscious pattern, rather than having a literal meaning as text:

or something that isn't entirely readable, but more just a train of thought:
I then looked at the idea of 'dictionary of words', and travelled through this to the thought of 'dictionary of emotions or symbols'... these can still say something, but just not in text...

I've found a japanese rice paper to experiment on, and it's giving me wonderful results...
Sometimes the words are concealed in the symbolism...


No comments: