Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Aerial Map - History as Dimension

I wanted to represent history around 1860 in an aerial view, when Brisbane River had been recently 'settled'. I have gathered etched/photo reference on the area from 1829 – 1900. It's incredible how, by 1860 – from arriving in Brisbane port (in 1829) - the landscape had changed dramatically ... housing, city, removal of mangroves, river dredging for port and shipping activity: it was all well underway.

I am always interested in that idea of history and the point when everything 'became something else' – the point of no return I guess. I believe 1860 was the year, the river became something 'else'.

Because of the time in history, I wanted to return to a more traditional method of 'stitching' the landscape as an aerial view.

I wanted to try as many methods as possible for the final submission and hoped to capture 'pasts and present' of the river- especially as I've found the memories/experiences and perspectives change each time I visit, or plan the next exercise. Also, every time I read more about the site, my understanding changes. This exercise was a good opportunity to work with stitching. An initial 'stitched canvas' was made at the River, specifically at the Kangaroo Point mangroves, where I recorded textures and colours.

Brisbane River recorded between 1865 – 1875



Later, materials taken from the site (such as wood, line work, painted canvas and stitch work) was used to create the final piece. Nothing was wasted.
There is a mix of linear drawing, stitching, photographs, painted canvas, felt and cotton fabrics, chicken wire, copper wire and materials taken from the site to reference certain parts of the river.




No comments: